The 4-Way Test is one of the world’s most widely printed and quoted statements of business ethics. The 4-Way Test Speech Competition is held in the Spring of each year. This event is open to all high school students. They prepare a five to seven minute speech that illustrates the 4-Way Test of Rotary International and how it applies to their life, activities, interests, or goals, or any combination thereof. Winners at the Club level advance to the Area Competition. Winners at Area advance to District. At each level, students have an opportunity to win scholarship money. This event is open to all high school students.
The date for the Local 4-Way Test competition will be announced when the details are confirmed.
DATES: The specific date of our Club contest is still to be determined but will be held by March 13, 2016. The District contest will be held on Saturday, April 2, 2016 at the Ortiz Center in Corpus Christi.
The test asks the following questions: Of the things we think, say or do
• Is it the TRUTH?
• Is it FAIR to all concerned?
• Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
• Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
The student is judged on Content (50%), Organization (30%), and Delivery (20%). The student must follow the Four-Way Test Theme throughout, must relate the speech to his/her own activities, must present a human-interest appeal, and must choose language that is clear, vivid and persuasive. The student must demonstrate organization of thought including an introduction, clear and orderly points and a brief conclusion that drives home the point of application. And finally, the student must be effective in his or her speech delivery including volume, grammar, gestures and attitude toward the audience.
• Participants must be enrolled in an area High School. All grade levels can compete.
• The speech must be between 5 and 7 minutes in length.
• The speech must relate to Rotary’s Four Way Test.
• Contestants will be allowed note cards. The speeches do not have to be memorized.
• Any contestants who do not place first at one Club can continue participating at subsequent club contests in the Area if the participating Club permits it.
• Past District First place winners are ineligible to compete.
• Contestants are allowed to change speeches when competing at different Clubs.
Club and Area levels – determined by each Club and Area but typically range as follows:
1st Place $200 – $300
2nd Place $100 – $200
3rd Place $75 – $100
4th Place $25 – $50
1st Place $1,500
2nd Place $1,000
3rd Place $750
Rotarian Anna Hay is our club coordinator for the 4-Way Test Competition and may be contacted for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.